Stephen's Naturalization

Discussion of Stephen and Bridget Durnan, and their families.
Eric E. Durnan
Family Member

Stephen's Naturalization

Postby Eric E. Durnan » August 1st, 2011, 11:47 pm

According to the history that my grandfather wrote, Stephen took out naturalization papers in 1861, after he headed north at the breakout of the Civil War. This would, I assume, put him in Illinois, probably around Kane County or Kendall County. This is just an assumption. I was finally able to find an index to all of the naturalizations in that area from about 1840-1950. Here's the info on the collection:

Index to Naturalization Petitions for Illinois, Indiana, Iowa & WisconsinSoundex Index to Naturalization Petitions for the US District & Circuit Courtsfor the Northern District of Illinois & INS District 9, 1840-1950 (M1285)

National Archives microfilm publication M1285 serves as an index to some Naturalizations from 1840-1950 for the counties listed below. The 1840-1950 time frame varies by county. For Chicago and Cook County, Illinois, this Naturalization records index begin in 1871. The Cook County Naturalization records prior to that were destroyed in the Chicago fire.

Ancestry has digitized the index cards from this National Archives microfilm publication and included them in this database:

U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) at Ancestry (requires payment) includes searchable digitized naturalization index cards from NARA Publication M1285

Microfilm Information...
  • National Archives Microfilm Publication M1285. Title: Soundex Index to Naturalization Petitions for the United States District and Circuit Courts, Northern District of Illinois, and Immigration and Naturalization Service District 9, [HIGHLIGHT=#ffff00]1840-1950[/HIGHLIGHT] (179 rolls). This serves both as an index to naturalization petitions from the two Federal courts mentioned in its title and as an [HIGHLIGHT=#ffff00]index to naturalization petitions filed in county courts in eastern Iowa, northwestern Indiana, eastern Wisconsin, and northern Illinois. Specifically, the following counties are included:[/HIGHLIGHT]
    [*]Illinois counties: Boone, Bureau, Carroll, Champaign, Cook (includes Chicago), DeKalb, DuPage, Ford, Fulton, Grundy, Henderson, Henry, Iroquois, Jo Daviess, [HIGHLIGHT=#ffff00]Kane[/HIGHLIGHT], Kankakee,[HIGHLIGHT=#ffff00] Kendall[/HIGHLIGHT], Knox, Lake, LaSalle, Lee, Livingston, Marshall, McHenry, McLean, Mercer, Ogle, Peoria, Putnam, Rock Island, Stark, Stephenson, Tazewell, Vermilion, Warren, Whiteside, Will, Winnebago, and Woodford.
    [*]Indiana counties: Benton, Fulton, Jasper, Lake, LaPorte, Marshall, Newton, Porter, Pulaski, St. Joseph and Starks.
    [*]Iowa counties: Allamakee, Appanoose, Benton, Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Cedar, Chickasaw, Clayton, Clinton, Davis, Delaware, Des Moines, Dubuque, Fayette, Floyd, Grundy, Hardin, Henry, Howard, Iowa, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Jones, Keokuk, Lee, Linn, Louisa, Mahaska, Mitchell, Monroe, Muscatine, Scott, Tama, Van Burean, Wapello, Washington and Winneshiek.
    [*]Wisconsin counties: Adams, Brown, Calumet, Columbia, Crawford, Dane, Dodge, Door, Florence, Fond du Lac, Forest, Grant, Green, Green Lake, Iowa, Jefferson, Kenosha, Kewaunee, Lafayette, Langlade, Manitowoc, Marinette, Marquette, Menominee, Milwaukee, Oconto, Outagamie, Ozaukee, Portage, Racine, Richland, Rock, Sauk, Shawano, Sheboygan, Walworth, Washington, Waukesha, Waupaca, Waushara, Winnebago and Wood.[/FONT]
    [*]

I didn't find anything for Stephen Durnan there at all. These records are arranged by soundex. Durnan is D655. You can browse all the records starting in the D655 category here: https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14871-4627-14%3Fcc%3D1838804%26wc%3D6866976
    I did find a few Durnins and Durnans, and some others that were kind of close which caught my eye. I'll put the ones that I found interesting here. The third one down is interesting only because of the McGahan surname of the witness.

Edit: In upgrading this board, the files of these Durnan naturalization records has been lost. I have no other copy of them. My apologies.

Return to “Stephen and Bridget Durnan”