Jack Durnan

A discussion of Stephen and Bridget's children and their families.
Eric E. Durnan
Family Member

Jack Durnan

Postby Eric E. Durnan » July 1st, 2011, 5:38 pm

I just put up Jack Durnan's page here: http://www.durnanfamily.com/Jack_Durnan.php?nosessionkill=1

I realized that there is a lot that I don't know about Jack. I would like to learn more about him and his family. If anyone has any info - could you post it to this thread? Thanks.

mslagle
Family Member

Re: Jack Durnan

Postby mslagle » July 3rd, 2011, 11:20 pm

Hey Eric, I took a quick look at those census records and I noticed that the 1910 census lists a 18 year old Ellen Shepard as a stepdaughter living with John and his wife. I almost missed it as the person listed after her has a similar name and at first I thought they were husband and wife. Take another look at that, I could be wrong. The 1900 census lists 2 boys, but also says his wife is the mother of 5 children that are living, I think that is rather strange. I know I don't always read those census records correctly, but at the top of the 1910 census is says "Name of Institution" and says St. Gabriel's Convent. what does this mean? It lists a lot of nuns first then lists others including John,wife, and children. Anyway, what i was thinking is if you have the names of those two boys listed in the 1900 census and we know their last name is Shepard, maybe we could find them or other census records in MN. and find their descendants. Also, his wife is listed as being born in Iowa, and her children being born in MN. Maybe he knew her before she was married. Do we know what her maiden name was? If we could find a marriage cert. we would know. I know a lot of women who lost their husbands at the time had their children raised in convents with nuns, as did our aunt Bridget, maybe John's wife was a widow and some of her children were living with relatives or in a convent. I can imagine it would have been very hard for a woman to raise 5 children on her own at that time.

Also, did you notice that John and Jim both listed their parents as being from the Irish Free states and not northern Ireland. Just another clue we may be able to use.

Martha

Eric E. Durnan
Family Member

Re: Jack Durnan

Postby Eric E. Durnan » July 4th, 2011, 1:17 am

I noticed that about Irish Free State. Yet others list Stephen as coming from Northern Ireland while Bridget came from Irish Free State. It is very interesting. I'll take a look at the census records in the morning. I'm getting ready to head to bed. Good eye catching that. Now that we have the Shepherd last name (married surname I assume), then I'll see if I can find her in a state census somewhere.

Return to “Stephen and Bridget's Children”